FAQS CONCERNING LEGAL FEES
Q. What is your firm’s hourly rate?
• $400 for financial law matters, such as securities laws, lending laws, virtual currency laws, money transmission laws, property tax.
$350 for other legal matters, such as general business, M&A, corporate law, real estate law, and zoning law.
Q. Do you provide free
consultation? Can I ask a “quick legal question.”?
A. My firm does not provide free legal advice. My firm mainly practices financial services laws and provides these
services to financial services entrepreneurs (lenders, securities issuers etc.), and not to consumers of financial
services. In my experience, the question may be “quick,” but responses are lengthy and involve complex laws.
My firm provides a short free conversation for the following
• Determine if a potential client’s matter falls within my firm’s areas
• Quote a fee (either a flat fee or an hourly retainer) for legal services and explanation of how
to retain my firm to provide legal services.
• Conduct a conflicts’ check.
If during our initial conversation,
you wish to ask a legal question, then you can pay for an initial consultation, which will be deducted from the license
application services or PPM offering services as follows:
• My firm charges $400 for an initial up to 1-hour consultation
concerning a lending license application (will be deducted from the CFL or CDDTL license application services in case my
firm is retained for that purpose)
• My firm charges $800 for an initial up to 1.5-hour consultation and .5 hour
e-mail summarizing the consultation, concerning a proposed private securities offering and/or the basics of the different
securities registrations exemptions available to a potential issuer (will be deducted from the PPM services in case my firm
is retained for that purpose)
Do you charge a flat fee, hourly out of a retainer, or both?
A. Most of my firm’s services are provided on a flat fee basis.
For example, my firm charges flat
fees for the following legal services
• California Lending licenses applications (CFL and CDDTL).
One-month California lending compliance program.
• One-month California compliance program for Retail Sales Installment
• One-month California pawnbrokers compliance program.
• One-month California investment
advisor compliance program.
• Most business contracts.
• PPM Services program (including drafting of
PPM, ancillary documents and one month follow up compliance program)
• Some property tax and zoning matters.
(typically, representation in the first hearing of a CUP or variance or property tax proceeding)
My firm charges hourly out
of a retainer (deposit, out of which my firm’s hourly work is charged) for the following services:
• DBO, DRE, SEC, CFTC, FINRA investigations and enforcement actions’ defense.
• Writ of mandate lawsuits.
Business model legal opinions. (legal review and analysis to determine if your financial service business requires the applicable
licensing and registrations)
• Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) legal work.
Some property tax and zoning matters. (typically, representation at additional hearing(s) of a CUP or variance or property